> All windows should be equal after 95.

Yes, they should.
No, they aren't.

> They all use the same WIN32 core.

No, they don't.

> And they even
> run the same exe files!

Yes, they do, but
I don't see what that has to do with the filesystem.

> For a programmer there should only be one system:
> WIN32 (95, 98, 2000, NT etc)

Yes, there should.
No, there isn't.

> Additional to NT etc.
> in 95/98/etc there is a dos window
> and the dos is simulated by the WIN32 core.

Whether the DOS that is seen within the Window environment box
is a the simulation, or otherwise, has nothing to do with the
methods for accessing the filesystem.  There are two ways of
accessing files from an application. The old way gives an 8.3
interface and the new way is a more general naming interface.

Any program that uses the old interface gets the 8.3 naming.

In addition, any computer running VFAT is using the 8.3 naming
on disk irrespective of what it looks like to a new application.

In addition, any file stored on a CDROM uses 8.3 naming (approx)
irrespective of what the filesystem type on the hard drive is.

SO, ANY PROGRAM THAT NEEDS TO BE PORTABLE TO ALL VERSIONS OF
WINDOWS (that are capable of 3D support) NEEDS TO ALLOW FOR THE
FACT THAT IMPORTANT FILES MAY APPEAR TO HAVE 8.3 NAME LIMITATIONS.