Jim Wilson wrote:
 > So I guess my question is this: can I change this to allow the panel
 > xml to have final say on the y-offset even though there might be a
 > user or two out there that sets y-offset elsewhere?  Or am I
 > underestimating the importance of this?

I have my own peeves about the panel coordinate conventions.  One of
the things I'd really like to see at some point is the ability to
"paste" a 2D panel onto a polygon in a 3D virtual cockpit.  In
principle, this should be easy.  In practice, the use of screen
coordinates makes this difficult.  How should one interpret y-offset
in a 3D environment, for example?

I guess what I'd like is something like:

+ The panel itself has a 2D coordinate system defined by <x-size> or
   whatnot.  This can be 1024x768, or the unit square, or anything
   convenient to the author. But there's no offset or positioning
   information stored in the panel itself -- coordinates outside the
   size range are undefined.

+ The 2D panel renderer holds the mapping of the panel quad to screen
   coordinates via <x-max>, <x-min> or something similar.

+ The 3D panel renderer gets a mapping of the panel quad into 3D
   coordinates.

It's also worth pointing out that the current HUD code has this
disease in a vastly more serious form.  Screen coordinates and pixel
dimensions are pervasive in the HUD renderer.  Even getting the HUD to
draw correctly in the face of a display size change (I use 1152x864)
is a huge chore.  Lots of code here may have to be chucked to get it
working in a 3D environment; I know Norman wanted to rewrite it for
similar reasons.

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA