David Megginson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Andy Ross writes:
>
>  > I have my own peeves about the panel coordinate conventions.
>
> I wrote the code after about two hours puzzling through examples in an
> OpenGL book, which was my first exposure to 3D programming.  It works,
> but I agree that it's ugly.

Think I'm reading the same book now :-)

>  > One of the things I'd really like to see at some point is the
>  > ability to "paste" a 2D panel onto a polygon in a 3D virtual
>  > cockpit.  In principle, this should be easy.  In practice, the use
>  > of screen coordinates makes this difficult.  How should one
>  > interpret y-offset in a 3D environment, for example?
>
> You should ignore it completely -- the pilot position and viewing
> direction would control what part of the panel you see.
>
> The right thing is to integrate the panel code into the main SSG scene
> graph.  Any volunteers?

I could be one.  Can you explain generally what you mean by "integrate the
panel code into the main SSG scene graph"?  Basically, yes I don't yet know
what you mean by "main SSG scene graph".

Otherwise been thinking about two mini projects with the panel in the near
term.  One is to do an approx model of a real autopilot with a real pitch
hold/adjustment, etc.  The second is to set up a processor for ribbon
textures...that could be configured in XML and used for compasses and/or an
integrated (xml defined) GC style instrument.

Best,

Jim