David Megginson wrote:
> Norman Vine writes:

>  > >Current CVS with Norm's main.cxx patch added
>  > >--------------------------------------------
>  > > From 4,000 ft: 49 fps
>  > > From 8,000 ft: 35 fps
>  >
>  > Hmm...
>  >
>  > My guess is that this has something todo with your running in
>  > a wIndow and glut is doing stuff behind the scenes that is not
>  > necessary on a windows box in game mode
>
> That is possible.  We're on different OS's with different windowing
> systems and drivers -- you may have identified a performance bug that
> affects only Windows systems.  I posted your main.cxx to a temporary
> URL (http://www.megginson.com/flightsim/main.cxx), and I'd love to
> hear from other Windows users.

While I don't see a direct improvement in framerate I notice a real
effect on the screen update. The old behaviour had a small bump in the
update every second or so, while the new code elliminates that.

This makes me vote for including the patch.

Erik

BTW. This is probably only noticable on slower machines with a "slow"
OpenGL implementation like the O2 I work on.