"Curtis L. Olson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hah! That's very nasty, the AI continues to operate just fine, and
> then [ever so] slowly starts to drift off center, but still reacts to
> overall aircraft motion.  I bet killing the vacuum system in a sim
> would be a good way to recalibrate a *lot* of pilot's egos.

And having experienced exactly this in a real airplane, in instrument
conditions, I can tell that what you're seeing is quite realistic.

Once the other instruments get tied in to vacuum, you'll find that you can
catch a vacuum failure quickly if you're doing a full instrument scan
(including comparing the vacuum instruments to the electric gyro turn
coordinator), but you'll fail to catch it until quite late if you're tending
to fixate on one or two instruments.

Derrell