> [1] The standard "T" instruments on the panel are the top 3 directly in front
> of you (airspeed, AI, altimeter), and the middle instrument of the bottom 3
> (DG).

Before non-pilots get confused, there are many different scan patterns
and rules to define when you switch between them to maintain safety.
They all work, but they're different even though they're equivalent.
The only danger is to use one of the wrong patterns for a given situation.

I was trained on the "^" "*" "O" "V" series of scans.  The "V" is different
yet equivalent to the "T" in terms of its operational purpose and use.
It is usually used when in smooth air and straight and level cruise
with nothing much going on ... your main concern is detecting a failure.