Curtis L. Olson writes:

 > Hah! That's very nasty, the AI continues to operate just fine, and
 > then [ever so] slowly starts to drift off center, but still reacts
 > to overall aircraft motion.

I have never dealt with a vacuum failure, so I don't know how
realistic that behaviour is, but I have had to deal with
a partially-tumbled AI during instrument work under the hood.  I will
be implementing tumbling as soon as I have the chance.

Once we have the electrical and static/pitot systems connected as
well, we can add a GUI for random failures (as well as an external
instructor console, of course).

 > I bet killing the vacuum system in a sim would be a good way to
 > recalibrate a *lot* of pilot's egos.

In real IFR it's deadly, because as you bank to keep the AI centred,
you gradually put the plane into a spiral.  If you happen to notice
the increasing airspeed, decreasing altitude, or divergent TC reading
(or glance at the vacuum pump) before you pass Vne, you might recover
in time.  After that, though, you'll be dizzy, confused, and badly
disoriented, but will now have to fly IFR using the TC until you get
the plane on the ground, praying not to get an electrical failure
before then.

Now perhaps someone can remind me why I want to get an instrument
rating ...

 > Wow!  Good work.

Thanks.  I'm looking forward to input from Alex and other IFR pilots
on how I can make the behaviour more realistic.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.megginson.com/