Curtis L. Olson

> Geoff Reidy writes:
> > The major problem I have with fgfs is that I seem to hit a race
> > condition where all graphics and sound stop for extended periods of time
> > (up to about 30 secs),>

> This most likely relates to freeing tile memory (i.e. moving old tiles
> out of the cache and reclaiming their memory.)  This was never a fast
> process and could result in frame rate glitches.  When David added
> random ground cover objects, the problem got *really* bad because the
> scene graph structure of a tile got a lot larger.  David and I worked
> really hard to optimize that, and I further worked on a partial tile
> free-er so we could spread the load out over multiple frames.  This
> should have been all fixed by version 0.8.0 so that you should see
> very little frame rate impact when you cross a tile boundary.  What
> version of flightgear are you running?

The same thing happens for me with both Cygwin gcc 2.95.2
and MingW gcc 3.2 both using Doug Lea's malloc routines which
I believe is what most Linux distributions use

CVS version of Cygwin

Implemeting the thread support seems to make this even worse
but this is a totally unscientific observation

FWIW
This is bad enough so that any flight covering more then 1000km or
so is futile for me as once the condition starts it reoccurs quite
frequently

Norman