Curtis L. Olson wrote:
Geoff Reidy writes:

The major problem I have with fgfs is that I seem to hit a race
condition where all graphics and sound stop for extended periods of time
(up to about 30 secs), long enough for autopilot (or me!) to lose
control and the plane will always crash.
During this time there is no disk access happening or lack of memory,
fgfs still uses 99% CPU.
Doesn't make any difference whether I use the Mesa files or not. Tried
compiling with/without random-objects and threading.
Tried running with textures disabled, 16 or 24 bit.

It happens after covering a certain amount of terrain. It doesn't matter
if I'm flying the A4 or a Cessna I will go down about 1000km north of
Sydney, give or take a couple of hundred.
Over other parts of the world I usually get further but it always gets
me in the end. The program itself never crashes.

It's been happening since before version 8.0 came out but noone else
seems to have the problem? I had put it down to some gcc3.2 weirdness
but others are using it now.

I can sometimes precipitate it by switching to tower view, will get a
white screen, elevation goes to 40000 ft or so, sound stops, oh-oh.

This most likely relates to freeing tile memory (i.e. moving old tiles
out of the cache and reclaiming their memory.)  This was never a fast
process and could result in frame rate glitches.  When David added
random ground cover objects, the problem got *really* bad because the
scene graph structure of a tile got a lot larger.  David and I worked
really hard to optimize that, and I further worked on a partial tile
free-er so we could spread the load out over multiple frames.  This
should have been all fixed by version 0.8.0 so that you should see
very little frame rate impact when you cross a tile boundary.  What
version of flightgear are you running?

Regards,

Curt.
I last did a cvs update and rebuild of plib, simgear and fgfs on 4th October.

Regards,
Geoff