David Megginson writes:
> Curtis L. Olson writes:
>
>  > It's more than that though.  You need to figure out if the .stg file
>  > has changed, then check any of the files refered to in the .stg file.
>  > If any of those files are 3d models you need to load that model, parse
>  > it's format, and determine if it refers to any other models or
>  > textures, and recurse on those.  That suddenly means the client side
>  > has to get a *lot* smarter.
>
> Why not a lot stupider?  How long does it take just to check the
> datestamp on every file in the scenery directory using HTTP?  Always
> load all the 3D models the first time, then only the scenery tiles you
> actually need.

Something like that would probably work ...

Load all the non scenery tiles first (assuming these are models or
textures or files associated with models.)  Then load the scenery
tiles as needed.  We still need someone to impliment the scheme
though. :-)  There's always 100 ways to skin a cat ... assuming you
have 100 cats that is ...