Tony Peden wrote:

> > FTP is a horrible protocol. As firewall admin you've got the problem
> > that FTP decides dynamically what port it uses for data transfer. So you
> > have to open quite a few ports.
>
> In pasv mode (settable from the client) it uses only one ...

For the SuSE update I din't find that option (probably didn't look long
enough...)

> > Dunno if that's the problem of the NAT part, but I can't reliably use
> > FTP from my normal computer as packets get filterd at my
> > router/firewall. This is already quite bad (e.g. for the SuSE auto
> > update) so we should do it better. And we should help to get rid of FTP.
>
> 2.4 Linux kernels don't seem to have any trouble with it...

My firewall runs under 2.4 with iptables... I can send you the script
that sets it up, so you might discover if I made a mistake somewhere.

> > PS: FTP also transferes passwords in plaintext to make things even
> > worse...
>
> And http doesn't?

scp doesn't. And http can be exchanged by https.
If there's a "secure" FTP my client probably can't handle it anyway.

CU,
Christian

--
The idea is to die young as late as possible.        -- Ashley Montague