From: WillyB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Ok, I'm probably confusing the switch then.
> I resized and enhanced the photos and have
> attached the new one I made from it.
> Is that 4 position switch for the C HT or am I totally wrong on that?

Aha! Nicely enhanced; it resolves the confusion.
The two switches lower left are the magnetos as you've already figured out.
The rotary analog display is labelled "CYL HEAD TEMP" and only has one
needle (white) and the redline (which is irrelevant to the discussion).

From: Alex Perry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> * You normally have one CHT sensor per cylinder (sometimes two),
>   so you either need to have lots of dials, or a switch to select
>   among them, or an electronic display to cycle through them, etc.

The metal control (without a knob) is shown, in both the drawing and the
panel, with four positions and, in the drawing, is labelled "CHT select".
I therefore assert that this aircraft has a four cylinder engine and this
selects which cylinder measurement is going to be seen on the dial.

Individual cylinders have slightly more or less airflow cooling (due to
the pattern of baffles in front of the firewall) and receive slightly
different richness in the mixture (due to fuel injection differences,
or uneven atomization after the carbureter as appropriate).  For each
engine (and baffle layout), the pattern of differences is generally
well known and the behavior is pretty consistent across most of the fleet.
After enough experience in an aircraft, many owners know which cylinder
is going to be hottest for a given phase of flight and therefore can leave
the switch in a single position, just changing it (eg) after climb ends.
Periodically, the pilot will cycle through all the cylinders to make sure
they all read as expected, as a way of detecting some imminent failures.

As far as simulating it is concerned, there are standard models for how
CHT changes as a function of operating conditions for a given cylinder.
Therefore, we could easily have per-cylinder parametrics for the cooling
and for the mixture (in the engine file) that drive a standard CHT model.
Those parametric values, plus the broken status of each CHT sensor,
would be accessible to the instructor through the property tree.

Hope that helps ...