> What are the major cons that folk have found with running kde?

It gets better all the time, but so far I've found that it's a bit slow.  The
mail reader, KMail, is great.  The file manager, Konqueror, is pretty slow,
but then part of that is my fault, as I have it set up to show files as icons
and to preview graphics files.  I use KEdit for all my text and HTML file
editing, and Iike it except for a bug in the scrolling, which may be fixed in
the newest version.  For browsing I use Galeon/Mozilla instead of Konqueror
to get more speed.  I like that it's based on Qt, which is a nice GUI API.  I
like the clean no-nonsense look, rather than the artsy Gnome look.  So far I
think more gtk apps are available than Qt apps, but that will change, and you
can still run the gtk stuff.