David Culp schrieb:
What are the major cons that folk have found with running kde?

It just works.

And it let you run X, gtk, ... applications without any problems (you won't even notice any differences, except the look'n'feel)

It gets better all the time, but so far I've found that it's a bit slow.

The newest version (3.1) has a big performace gain, so make sure that you use that.

The mail reader, KMail, is great. The file manager, Konqueror, is pretty slow, but then part of that is my fault, as I have it set up to show files as icons and to preview graphics files. I use KEdit for all my text and HTML file editing, and Iike it except for a bug in the scrolling, which may be fixed in the newest version. For browsing I use Galeon/Mozilla instead of Konqueror to get more speed. I like that it's based on Qt, which is a nice GUI API. I like the clean no-nonsense look, rather than the artsy Gnome look. So far I think more gtk apps are available than Qt apps, but that will change, and you can still run the gtk stuff.

I don't really think about what applications I use (generalizing a bit...) as all work well, even the non natvie ones

CU,
Christian

PS: And it's default by SuSE, so I never had the need to realy work with Gnome - but the few times I used Gnome at university (they use RedHat for the AT boxes) I allways had the feeling in my gut that KDE was nicer