Curtis L. Olson writes:

> Like you say, to do this well, we would need some way to efficiently
> page texture data in and out.  We'd also want to be able to load
> lowres mipmaps for distant stuff and hold off loading the full
> resolution version of the textures until they are close enough to
> actually be used.

One way todo this is to always use the same size texture so as to
be able to use glTexSubImage2D() to control the level of detail and
mipmaping ourselves.

Easiest todo this if the scenery is laid out so when you go to
a lower level texture it covers 4 times the area and visa versa

This works with SimGear's latitude adjusted tile 'bands' as they are
broken into 8x8 sub grids :-)

Norman