----- Original Message -----
From: "Curtis L. Olson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "FlightGear developers discussions" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2003 7:43 PM
Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] Command Options

> John Wojnaroski writes:
> > Just uploaded the latest FG 09.3 -- quite a step from 0.7.9 !!
> >
> > When setting up multiple machines on a network what are the new command
line
> > parameters to connect master and slave FG machines to generate multiple
> > external views?
> >
> > Which protocol should one use? 'native-ctrls=' or 'native-fdm=' or
'native='
> > ?
> > Did a portion of the howto docs on using and specifying the network
> > parameters get lost?
>
> The two protocols compliment each other.  Originally they were
> designed to communicate with an external FDM.  FlightGear would send
> native-ctrls to the remote FDM module, and it would reply with
> native-fdm data.
>
> You can sync up visuals by only using native-fdm= since that contains
> all the position and orientation information.
>
> If you also want to syncronize the control inputs (i.e. for animating
> the external model) you can add that.  This comes in really handy if
> you are running the wright flyer on a 5 projector wrap around visual
> system.  You want to see that big elevator waggling in front of you as
> you struggle to stay alive for just a few more seconds.
>
> > Should the slaves specify --fdm=external or --fdm=null?
>
> The slaves should use --fdm=null so they don't try to compute their
> own positional information.

Okay; FWIW
To set up the glass cockpit and FG visuals goes like this:

#  the master FG machine
--native-fdm=socket,out,24,5500,192.168.2.xxx,udp \
--native-fdm=socket,out,24,5500,192.168.2.yyy \
--opengc=socket,out,24,6000,192.168.2.x1x \
--opengc=socket,out,24,6000,192.168.2.x2x \
# where xxx, yyy, etc are addresses for each of the slaves and x1[2]x are
the opengc machines
# this socket receives control data from the master glass cockpit machine
--native-ctrls=socket,in,5700,24, ,tcp
:
:
# the slave(s) FG machine(s)
--native-fdm=socket,in,24, ,udp
--fdm=null

On the master OpenGC machine, the syntax is slightly different
--network=6000,5700,192.168.2.zzz
:
# where zzz is the address of the master FG machine

OpenGC machines use sockets 6100 and 6200 on the 192.168.2.xxx LAN to
exchange display and control data within the cockpit

Has anyone been successful in running some of the dual headed video cards
with FG? I've been able to build a complete 737/747 flightdeck with just two
machines using GeForce NVIDIA cards connected to four monitors. Frame rate
is a reasonable 24-30fps depending on the detail in the nav displays.

Tried the same with FG to create a left and right windscreen display by
opening two FG windows on a single machine with the loopback address but
either OpenGL, glut, or the driver allocates all the GPU cycles to the first
window opened and the second is starved at 1fps while the first bops along
at 40-46fps. Not being a graphics expert I suspect this has something to do
with how the graphics hardware is assigned at startup. Is there a way to
force the card to share (allocate) GPU resources equally other than writing
a new driver?

Thanks
John W.