On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 10:23, Russell Suter wrote:
> Jon Berndt wrote:
>
> >So,
> >instead of defining some arbitrary frame, _we_use_an_industry_standard_,
> >which is the structural frame that the manufacturer defines, when available.
> >It is always (in my experience) X positive aft, Y positive right, with the
> >origin being seemingly  arbitrary.
> >
> I wouldn't go so far as to say this is an industry standard.  FG is the
> first sim I've
> seen that uses this coordinate system.  The one I've seen the most is X
> positive forward,
> Y positive right and Z positive down.  Someone once told me this was
> named the
> Boeing system.  On the sim I'm working on now, it's positive Y forward,
> positive X
> to the right and positive Z up.  I'll admit that most of the sims I've
> worked on are
> relatively old in FORTRAN and C.

There really are no industry standards here.  Body axis, earth local,
and earth fixed are commonly used in simulation.  A system like our
structural system is commonly used by manufacturing, ground ops, and
flight ops folks.  But even then, the origins vary from airplane to
airplane.

--
Tony Peden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>