On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Al West wrote:

> It was highly enjoyable to be able to talk to people about something one
> is very interested in and I am disappointed that both days passed by so
> quickly.  My congratulations go out to the two Jons who did a fantastic
> job in instructing during the show.  It was great to be able to put some
> faces to email addresses.

Yes, it was great to meet you all. I'd just like to say a big thankyou to
those who were there, particularly Jonathan, who helped me set up on
Monday, and joined in the hair tearing, and utterly inspired engineering
(we'll be patenting some innovative uses of duck tape, and the cable tie
plastic rivet). I certainly couldn't have managed the 3 days on my own.

> I took some photos on the second day (I'm not even a photgrapher by any
> means ;-) which are available at:
>       http://uk2004expo.fotopic.net/
> The images are between 300KB and 700KB (1280x1024) - sorry if you are on
> dialup but I've not had time to crop and compress the images.

Fotopic does that for you - They're scaled to fit your screen size.

You can find my pictures at http://photos.stockill.org.uk/ludex2004

> The Fleet Air Arm Museum are very interested in having their own
> simulator but this would depend on them being able to find a sponsor -
> so it's still dubious as to if anything will happen in that respect.

They have a Vampire cockpit which they're using as an open display cockpit
at the moment, and it's possible that this is what they'll use as their
simulator, although various other ideas were discussed too. They were
particularly impressed with the seahawk and hunter models, so if Vivian
wants to do a Seafire version of his spitfire model I'm sure they'd be
happy to supply some information.

> However I was talking to one of the members of staff of the Aeronautical
> Department at Imperial College (London) and they are in the process of
> looking for an open-source flightsim for Linux and she was very excited
> to learn about FlightGear.  Also we came across another group who want
> to use FlightGear for displaying and showing UAV data and position.

In addition to this there was some interest from a company doing safety
simulations for north sea oilrig helicopters, IBM wanted to know if it'd
run on their powerseries kit (I don't think anyone's done it so far, but
they seemed rather hopeful when I explain the architectures it already
runs on), and I spoke to a guy who was interested in using it for remote
flight instruction (apparently this is something that MSFS is already
being used for - I'm a bit dubious, but I suppose it could be useful for a
certain subset of flight training).

We also spoke to a BA 777 pilot (whose son managed a much better landing
than his dad), who will hopefully be signing up to the mailing list so we
can quiz him about cockpit instrumentation etc.

> Well I'm not a journalist either - but if anyone has any questions about the
> show then feel free to ask.

We did speak to a few journalists though, who may well be writing articles
on FlightGear - when I find out where and when they'll be published I'll
let you know.

Overall I'd say the show was EXTREMELY successful. We've learned a few
important lessons, which Jonathan is planning to write up later - just so
we don't make the same mistakes next time.

--
Jon Stockill