On 4/22/04 at 9:03 PM Tracy Martin wrote:
.
>Wearing my helicopter flying/instructing hat :- ditto :) ... apart from
>the
>lack of real world autorotation. I don't usually have such a spectatular
>landing when practicing the real thing :)
>Single engine choppers glide quite nicely albeit to a relatively nearby
>field.
>
>Engine fails, lever fully down,  adopt autorotation speed (depends on type

>flown and where the field is)  keep nose into wind with pedal*, adjust
>rrpm
>( depending on weight ) ...wait for the ground to get nearer, around  30 -

>40' stick gently back, gentle flare to reduce forward speed, level ship,
>let her settle onto ground.
>Switches: off, get cup of tea.
>
>I was most impressed with Flightgear and if I can help with any real heli
>stuff just me know.
>Off to practice some more.

Thanks for the feedback.  I was hoping to catch up with you after you'd
finished flying and discover what you thought of the helicopter dynamics,
but missed you.  I guess we've got some serious improvement to do.  If you
fly our helicopters occaisionally and tell us what is good and bad about
the modelling that would be fantastic - I'm not aware of any other
real-life heli pilots on the list.

What heli is it you fly in real-life by the way?

Cheers - Dave