On Saturday 05 June 2004 14:16, Jim Wilson wrote:
> So far this cockpit is really looking great!  Very nice work on the control
> box.

Thanks. I found some very detailed close-up photos of a cockpit that I've
recreated with a vector drawing program (OpenOffice Draw).

> Scanning the other responses, I don't think this has been answered yet
> (sorry if it has).  If your fuel panel is part of the main model, then it
> should be lower on the stack and what you expect should be working.
> However, I think this might be affected by a select animation especially if
> the fuel panel is grouped with objects like the fuel guage models (or other
> animations, but I assume the only animation on a fuel panel would be
> select).  In any case the problem isn't going to be solved by changing
> texture/polygon/color properties. That hole looks sufficiently transparent
> to me :-)

Frederic's solution to change the order using select animation in the xml file
worked great. I also think that that was by far the most attractive solution
too. Thanks Fred. I suspect that moving the fuel panel all the way to the
bottom of the of the AC model file would not have worked. When including the
fuel level gauge as another AC model, it would be placed below everything
else anyway, right?

> If none of this helps, then send your models and configs and I'll take a
> look. That wouldn't be until Sunday night at the earliest, because of a
> trip down to Portland.
>
> FWIW when modeling flat panels with bezeled guages I'm not sure there is
> any advantage to using this method unless there's something specific being
> modeled below the panel surface (e.g. certain mag compasses).  For example
> on the p51d and the cub it isn't all that obvious that the faces aren't
> below the surface. On the other hand you may need this method for that side
> fuel panel, because it is so close...not sure.  I guess I would always try
> it without the transparency to see what looks like first.  Keep in mind
> that there is a performance cost to rendering things through a
> transparency.

Is there perhaps a difference when using a perfectly transparent er...
transparency and a semi-transparent transparency, performance wise?!

I've also thought about using a textured needle instead of an object colored
one. The textured one might look a lot better with variable alpha creating an
anti-alias effect, but I'm concerned about performance.

--
Roy Vegard Ovesen