Roy Vegard Ovesen wrote:
> I've also thought about using a textured needle instead of an object
> colored one. The textured one might look a lot better with variable
> alpha creating an anti-alias effect, but I'm concerned about
> performance.

Alpha blending is almost free on modern hardware, so I wouldn't expect there
to be any performance difference.  So long as you have a sane/natural
order to draw your objects in, alpha is definitely the way to go.

Then again, on really modern hardware you can use FSAA to get
antialiasing for polygon edges anyway...

Andy