On Saturday 05 June 2004 04:08, Ampere K. Hardraade wrote:
> I don't know how things are done in other 3D modelling softwares, but in 3D
> Studio, each effect has a seperated mapping channel.  For example, if you
> want transparency in certain areas of a texture, you need to assign a map
> to the transparency channel of that texture inorder for those certain
> portions of the latter to possess true transparency.  Usually, the map can
> be the same file as the texture itself, though you have to play around with
> the options a bit so that the transparency is based on the Alpha instead of
> RGB.
>
> Check this out: http://waylon-art.com/uvw_tutorial/tut401_a.jpg
> Notice the various mapping channels: ambient, diffuse, specular color,
> specular level, glossiness, self illumination; the list is quite long.
>
> As I said, I don't know how things are done in other 3D modelling
> softwares. Your best bet will be looking for the dialog box that allows you
> to apply different effects to a texture in the 3D modelling software that
> you are using.

In Blender one can select, at least, opaque or alpha, but I guess that this
does not get carried through in the export to AC3D format. AC3D uses alpha.
But as you can see from the screenshot the holes _are_ transparent because
you can see the other panel texture through it.But you can't see the gauge
face texture through it. The difference between the other panel texture and
the gauge face texture is that the panel texture is part of the plane 3d
model, and the gauge face texture is included to the model through the model
xml config file. I suspect that this is what is causing the problem.

> Regards,
> Ampere
>
> On June 4, 2004 06:25 pm, Lee Elliott wrote:
> > On Friday 04 June 2004 21:44, Roy Vegard Ovesen wrote:
> > > Here is a shot of the King Air cockpit i'm modeling:
> > >
> > > http://home.tiscali.no/rvovesen/king-air-cockpit.jpg
> > >
> > > Also I have a question: The fuel panel texture on the left has two
> > > "semi" circles that have alpha 0% (transparent) in order to show fuel
> > > level gauges that are supposed to be placed slightly behind the panel.
> > > The fuel level gauge that is visible on the right side of the fuel
> > > panel actually has a textured face, but it is not visible through the
> > > transparent "semi" circle. Note that the "Fuel system circuit breakers"
> > > panel texture is visible through the transparent "semi" circle.
> > >
> > > The fuel level gauge has been included in the model xml file as a
> > > <model> tag. Could this be the reason why the gauge face texture is not
> > > visible? I believe David Megginson's Piper cockpit uses the same
> > > technique: A panel texture with transparent "holes" and instruments
> > > behind those holes, so I guess it should be possible.

Roy Vegard Ovesen