Lee Elliott wrote:
> Sent: 21 October 2004 19:25
> To: FlightGear developers discussions
> Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] Trajectory show when replay?
>
> On Thursday 21 October 2004 11:31, Yu QingRou wrote:
> > Thanks Arnt. Responses inline.
> >
> > Other gents, have time to look into my questions in my
> > previous email and help me out?
> >
> > One question, if I have already know one point's (lat, lon,
> > alt), how can I calculate a right position to draw it? I know
> > it needs to be updated as the scenery center is being
> > changed...I did some investigation but I have to say I messed
> > up something. Can anyone give me a clarification on what
> > procedures I should call...is the way I showed in my previous
> > email correct?

> > >..like Klog?  ' apt-get install klog ', if you use debian
> > > sid, otherwise see http://kflog.org .

> > >..preliminary idea: Ethy Brito asked for help investigating a
> > > helicopter crash using FG, if you _are_ doing what I think
> > > you are doing, chk out
> > > http://baron.flightgear.org/pipermail/flightgear-users/2004-
> > >October/009104.html
> > >
> > >and help us qualify FlightGear as an air crash investigation
> > > tool, your trajectory code ideas are spot on what we need,
> > > if they are anywhere near what I think they are.  :-)
> > >
> > >..updated protocol handler for FG:
> > >http://www.a1.nl/~ehofman/fgfs/downloads/j3cub
> >
> > [QingRou] I saw Erik's email. Sounds like in the coming
> > release we can have such functionality: save your flight to a
> > file with the data need to be stored in FGReplayData
> > (Sim_time, FDM and Ctrls). Then read this file back and replay
> > the flight. This is useful especially for the instructors to
> > show the students how a successful/bad flight is. Also it can
> > be used to save students' flight and give scores.
> >
> > >..ca 2 hours Dolphin SA365 real life flight data for FG
> > > calibration:
> > > http://www.inexo.com.br/SA365/SA365-flight007-aero-data.tar.
> > >gz
> > > http://www.inexo.com.br/SA365/SA365-flight007-engine-data.ta
> > >r.gz
> > >
> > >..bonus extensions could be placing choppers or airplanes
> > > rather your lines or dots along the trajectory trail,
> >
> > [QingRou] Yes with my "point" (spot) solution, you can change
> > the loading 3D model to anything you want and then you can see
> > the model showed along the trajectory. I had ever done that to
> > show a rocket along the flight path!
> >
> >  maybe showing red wireframe
> >
> > >orientations etc "according to the black box recordings", and
> > > green, blue, yellow etc wireframe orientations "according to
> > > the black box recordings filtered thru the yasim, JSBSim,
> > > UIUC etc flight dynamics models" to help understand the
> > > recordings and say, help identify instrument errors
> > > disturbing the black box recordings.
> >
> > [QingRou] Yeah...actually what I am doing is, read the record
> > data from Flight Data Recorder (black box), and refine the
> > data to some format, then input into the replay system of
> [...]

You can do it right now by setting the velocity to zero, buoyancy to 32 and
wind to false. Then you need to create a suitable marker in /models/geometry
(use puff.ac to prove the principle), and put the path in the submodel.xml
file. Oh, and set the delay to a smallish number and the count to -1 life
should be longish. Pick some suitable offset - CofG good be a good choice.
And there you have it - a stream of stationary markers dropped off behind
your aircraft.

No problem,

Vivian