Andy Ross writes:

> Lee Elliott wrote:
> > Just a thought...  An alternative approach might be to make the
> > textures dynamic so that the roads could be overdrawn on them before
> > they're rendered.
>
> Way back in the day (maybe 3-4 years ago, when I was at NextBus) I
> wrote a parser for the TIGER database format, an intermediate binary
> format, and an interactive Java renderer.  The idea was to have an
> interactive street map, not a photorealistic rendering.  But the
> parser and intermediate format generator (in perl) might be useful to
> someone wanting to work on this.

For anyone wanting to do this in 'C',  GDAL has tiger parsing code
and one can use gdaltranslate to turn it into any of the OGR supported
formats. http://gdal.maptools.org
I would suggest adding them to a PostGIS database which when
appropriately indexed has *quick* respones.
http://postgis.refractions.net

Note mapserver is easy to set up to serve PostGIS data
http://mapsereg.gis.umn.edu either interactively or as a WMS
image server i.e  georeferenced textures could be served
directly to an application

Cheers

Norman