You will want to use multicast.  The multicast address range is 224.0.0.0 thru
239.255.255.255.  224.0.0.0 is reserved, so don't use it.  Also, multicast has
a default time to live (TTL) of 1 hop, so it will be limited to devices on the
same subnet.  I don't know if FlightGear handles receiving multicast, tho.

Jonathan Polley

On Thursday, December 09, 2004, at 01:53PM, John Wojnaroski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Trying  "--native-fdm=socket,out,30,192.168.2.255,7000,udp"   to broadcast
>the data onto a LAN for multiple machines returned the following error:
>***********
>Error: connect() failed in make_client_socket()
>SG_IO_OUT socket creation failed
>Error opening channel communications layer.
>I/O channel config failed
>
>Addressing multiple individual machines with the protocol works fine but is
>a terrible waste of bandwidth.
>Has anyone tried to use the broadcast address and been successful? Wondering
>if this is a SimGear or plib or other problem?
>
>Regards
>John W.

>2f585eeea02e2c79d7b1d8c4963bae2d

Of COURSE they can do that.  They're engineers!