Paul Surgeon wrote:

On Monday, 24 January 2005 20:32, Curtis L. Olson wrote:

The opengl interface itself (for a variety of good reasons) doesn't
provide you a way to directly tell if something is implimented in
hardware or software. Note that this isn't dropping your whole card
into software rendering mode, it's just the specific things that aren't
supported in hardware need to be done in software. There are two sides
to the issue of having the api tell you whats done in hardware vs.
software. Believe me, it's been debated by a lot smarter people than we
have here. :-) OpenGL has chosen a certain way to do it (for valid
reasons) so we need to make the best of it.

But what we can do is check what type of video card or driver is being used and only allow that feature to be switched on if the hardware supports it.

For instance my system returns :
OpenGL vendor       : NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL version       : 1.5.2 NVIDIA 66.29
OpenGL renderer    : GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!

If you need an SGI machine for the enhanced lighting then if you detect an nVidia or ATI string just disable the enhanced lighting or hide the option.
Or alternatively check for an SGI string and if one is not found assume that the feature is not supported.

Something about runway lighting has changed recently. Either newer nvidia drivers/cards have intentionally slowed down some things, or we are doing something different. I don't recall a change on our end, but previously, I never saw any where near the slowdown I'm seeing now when runway lights come on.

Regards,