Josh Babcock wrote:

> The Superfort's flaps and gear are electrically powered, and the controls
> for
> both are instantaneous switches. ie. you have to hold the switch the whole
> cycle
> to keep the motor running. Can anyone think of a way to do this? For all I
> can
> tell, there's no way to tell YASim to stop the flaps anywhere but a
> detent, and
> I don't want to have to define 30 or 40 detents just to simulate a smooth
> action
> that can be stopped anywhere.

I need a similar facility for the hydraulic flaps in the Hawker Hurricane
model that I am currently constructing. I'm assuming that it will be doable
in Nasal, but I won't be looking into it until next week at the earliest.
There's also a very complicated example of using .xml to operate flaps in
seahawk-set.xml. It uses the principle of separating the movement of a lever
and the operation of the flaps, which I think is what you need. I wouldn't
recommend doing it in .xml (I did it before Nasal was available), but it
does demonstrate the principle of not using detents.

If you get there first, I'll be looking to 'borrow' the code :-).

> As for the gear, I suppose there is a way to get Nasal to slowly change
> gear-pos-norm and then flip the gear extended property once they are fully
> extended, but I haven't figured it out yet.

I can't think that the B29 gear is too complicated. Again, you may need to
separate the functions of the switch and gear. The Hurricane does something
similar so ...

> Also, I need to find a way to
> block
> gear commands that are defined in custom keyboard.xml and joystick files,
> but
> the only way I can think of requires that I know what input is tied to the
> command, which I won't unless it happens not to be a custom setup.

I use the null property to disable unwanted standard keyboard commands.
Again, an example in seahawk-set.xml.