On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 13:20:13 -0500, Curtis wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Arnt Karlsen wrote:
>
> >..Curt, I need an idea of how much cpu work, building the scenery,
> >is.  What kinda machine(s) did you use, and how long did  it take to
> >build the scenery?
> >

> I haven't timed the latest builds real close, but figure if you throw
> a  couple machines at it in parallel, it's going to take you at least

..these are 2 recent machines?  Specs?

> a  full 7 days (x 24 hours) to do the final assembly and crunching.
> This  doesn't include any of the data prep work (which could take
> weeks if you start from scratch), nor does it include the airport
> model generation  which takes a day or so.

..can do ;o), assuming you used 2 Celeron 850's, that makes it 2 hours.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~ $ qalc 2*8*24*1700/320000
(1700 * 24 * 8 * 2) / 320000 = 2.04
1700 is a NTWAG BigoMips figure for a Celeron, 320,000 is for the
cluster estimate, I will have to use some machines as switches too.

..to build 12.6GB of scenery, I assume I simply do a rebuild of our last
version, se we _can_ shoot for a 25GB target size, if we want it any
bigger.  Here I WAG the same cpu work per Gig of scenery, which
probably is dead wrong.  ;o)

> And of course this doesn't count any of the  time you need to spend
> sitting down and sorting through tile build  problems (or other
> bugs/missing features) that you haven't gotten around  to looking at
> yet.

..very true, and for a 4 hour stunt run, there will be _no_ such bug fix
time, it will all have to be scripted, end to end.  Watching my gasifier
rig remains my top priority, a good 1/3 of my gas is CO, so I dont want
_any_ leaks.

> Regards,
>
> Curt.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: