Melchior FRANZ wrote:

Or simpler: don't allow anyone who isn't subscribed
to post to the lists. There's still the AVSim forum
and the IRC channel for notorious non-subscribers.

I'd prefer an official forum on flightgear.org for
that, though. AVSim does in no way feel official.
(Is it 'official' at all?) Postings to the forum
could be forwarded to the users list, and replies
to such messages there could get copied back to the
forum.

Unfortunately, I've not the slightest idea which
forum software to choose. :-(

Right, but someone has to answer the listname-admin mail and sort out if it's spam or perhaps a legitimate user having a problem posting or subscribing. And unfortunately there is a *ton* of that type of spam to wade through.

My spam filters do weed out most of it, however, spam consumes a substantial amount of net traffic and server resources. Converting the FG email lists to web based forums would eliminate 98% of the spam hitting our server ... we could at least bounce back no such address, rather than having to accept the mail, scan it for viruses, scan it to compute a spam rating, and then deliver it to the list admin who then has to further filter it, either manually or with automated tools or both.

I think the one thing we would lose with a forum system would be the ability to sort individual messages that are important to the recipient (such as a todo item, or an item requiring further investigation) into our own mail box system.

There's more opposition to this idea than I expected, so perhaps this issue should go on the back burner for now and we can revisit it in a few months or a year (or not at all.)