Hi Josh

From: Josh Babcock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>> > 2) ... the current terrain is designed to be seen from above... When
>> > viewing terrain from the side other factors come into play...your
>> > stratum idea and the one I put forward where urban terrain is presently
>> > designed from a "birds eye view" ie roof's, when this is viewed from
>> the
>> > side it should be walls and windows, the roofs always being on the
>> > uphill side. This implies left and right handed scenery amongst other
>> > perspective issues.
>> >

>> Personally, I like to fly in mountainous areas, .....
>

> my landings need too much practice to skive off and enjoy the scenery <g>

Yes, takeoffs are optional, landings are mandatory.

>> .....and I often find myself
>> looking sideways at a cliff. Again, I am not talking about flat terrain,
>> but vertical terrain. It really ruins the illusion when can look
>> sideways at an irrigated field that has been stretched up the
>> mountainside.
>>
>> My point is that perhaps some of the terrain should be designed to be
>> viewed from the side, and not above. The trick is teaching terragear to
>> determine what that terrain is and assign it a new landcover type: cliff.
>>

> .. Agreed; cliff, "right" hilly urban and "left" hilly urban. I'm sure
> others will come up with other landcover types.

I'm not sure what you mean by right and left. Keep in mind that this is
not done at run time, but during scenery generation. Whatever terragear
lays down has to look right from every angle.

I'm thinking about side viewed Urban landcover type would consist mainly of walls and windows rather than roofs as at present. But if the roofs were put to the right of the walls, this would look rediculous out of the left side cockpit window (the roofs would be on the down hill side of the walls)

This is important to me because the 16 approach to my local is between two hills with steeps sides and both with suburban housing on them. "Stretched" looks strange, upside down would look plain rediculous. (On final you're only a hundred or so feet ASL with 200 ft hills either side).

I would also include "scree slope", "river rapids" and "waterfall".
There may be a way to do terraced farmland, but that seems like it would
get complicated.

animated water fall? ;-)

Cheers
Dene