Curtis Olson wrote:

> It is possible to make threaded model loaders, but now you are faced
> with the task of completely re-writing the OSG or PLIB model loaders
> so they play nice in a threaded environment in the context of our
> application.  You have to make sure that all the opengl calls are
> serialized in the correct order so they don't step on each other and
> cause an application crash.
>
> Anything is possible, but some things are very hard.
>
> Curt.

osg loaders are supposed to be thread safe now because they are used in
their multi thread page loader.
Note that contrary to plib, the textures are not bound when loaded but
only when rendered the first time.
So in theory there should be no ogl calls inside a loader.
We shoud be able to run a bigger part of our loader code in a sperate
thread and with very few change
to the existing code. Of course this won't solve the 100k poly model case.

Harald.