One thing you might double check in your build system is whether or not you
are compiling with debugging symbols (-g flag in gcc.)  This is turned on by
default with automake/autoconf.  FlightGear's heavy use of the standard
template library leads to huge volumes of debugging info being generated.  I
almost always do my compiles with CFLAGS="-Wall -O2" CXXFLAGS="-Wall -O2"
instead of the default.  I like turning on the extra level of warnings.  If
I do need to run gdb, I'll usually just compile the specific files in
question with debugging symbols by modifying the local Makefile and
'touch'ing the source file(s).

That's just me, but it saves a ton of disk space ...

Regards,

Curt.
--
Curtis Olson - University of Minnesota - FlightGear Project
http://baron.flightgear.org/~curt/  http://www.humanfirst.umn.edu/