Hi, I am not up to speed with the other efforts in this area, which I
know have been going on. But I do have significant VOIP experience and
I'll just throw out some thoughts.

First, if you're not intimate with VOIP let me tell you (without
discouraging you, I hope) that it won't be as easy as you might think.
There's too much going on; it's like herding cats. You have to deal
with sound card input, NAT and firewalls, VOIP protocols, and somehow
orchestrating it all. Then you have to have someone manage something
like Asterisk on a server to provide the conference call capabililty.
Certainly doable, but not a weekend project as I'm sure the others
working on it are well aware.

I'm not sure what the best approach would be, but I am inclined to
think it would be somehow talking to an existing VOIP client via IPC
and driving it to join/create the appropriate conference channels. I'm
not aware of any client that can be driven in this way, and I'm almost
sure that there's nothing cross-platform to fit the bill. You could
rip the SIP code out of something like Twinkle, but I'd advise against
that for one simple reason: getting VOIP working (especially SIP) is
hard enough when you've got a full-featured softphone or ATA or IP
phone. Stick things behind a façade like a FlightGear radio and it
will be all the more difficult to troubleshoot and 60%-70% will simply
be unable to get it working. I know that sounds like exaggerated
pessimism, but in my experience there's always *something* that goes
wrong in configuring VOIP.

My only intent here is to throw out the thoughts that I have about
what might trip someone up in doing this, so they can be considered
and addressed from the beginning. I don't want to discourage anyone
from this, which would be a very cool feature, nor from VOIP in
general.

Cheers

On 9/2/07, Nick Othieno <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> I intend to add a module to flight gear that enables people on a
> multi-player game to talk to each other (live) when tuned to the same
> frequency on their comms.
>
> The idea is to use voip to do the connection and maybe have one of the
> computer's running a voip server of sorts that can handle a conference call.
> Has anyone tried anything similar?
>
> I would appreciate all the help I can get especially with the flightgear
> code. I'm exellent with C, good with C++ and elementary with xml. I have
> nearly no simulation knowledge but have working knowledge of dsp (digital
> signal processing).
>
> Hope to hear from you.
>
> Nick

Hans Fugal