On Monday 03 September 2007 03:22:39 am Vivian Meazza wrote:

> > I'm almost
> >
> > > sure that there's nothing cross-platform to fit the bill. You could
>
>                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> This has concerned me for some time on this development.

I probably haven't been following this conversation closely enough, but what
about borrowing from the KDE4 projects phonon and decibel.  I know phonon
will be cross-platform with a Jack, Alsa, GStreamer and DirectSound plugins.

Decibel is a communications package which pulls in VoIP and instant messaging
all together in one interface.  I am pretty sure decibel will be
cross-platform as well, though perhaps not in time for the KDE 4.0 release.

Their websites are:
phonon.kde.org
decibel.kde.org

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.