* Durk Talsma -- Sunday 30 September 2007:
> Although most people will have a global idea as to what listeners
> are, I don't  think that *that* many people are aware of the fact
> that the actual setValue function is the very same code that calls
> these Nasal functions.

Ah, ok. Indeed, things can quickly get mysterious if you don't
know that.  :-)

> I'm still hoping that there is a common root cause for all this.

Sigh. Yes, that would be nice. While I could cause the stutter
problem reliably by activating AI traffic in the past, this
is no longer the case. The only way to reproduce it now is to
run MP, and I'm not sure if that's the same problem. Gahh ...

> I'm currenty investigating on the basis of a working theory
> that [...]

I was so busy to defend my listeners, that I forgot to say:
thanks for investigating all that. It's a lot of work and quite
hard to do. All my attempts to find the cause failed so far.

Unfortunately, we have lots of places where CPU cycles are wasted
needlessly. One area is handling of STL containers. Other projects
are much more careful with them and have strict policies.

m.