Heiko Schulz wrote

Vivian Meazza  schrieb:

> [...]
> >
> > 30            50
> > 65
> > as above but with trees and precipitation:
> >       15            25          30
> >
> > Aircraft: Buccaneer (particles)
> > as  above but with trees and precipitation:
> >        8            18          20
> >
> > In addition to the difference in frame rate, OSG
> > also stutters, while plib
> > is commendably smooth. I've tried both executables
> > generated here using
> > MSVC8, and Fred's pre-cooked binaries. So far as I
> > can see the results are
> > identical. I've profiled both OSG and plib - for
> > anyone interested, some of
> > the results are here:
> >
> > ftp://abbeytheatre2.org.uk/fgfs/OSG/
> >
> > While I am no expert in profiling code, the results
> > seem to me to show that
> > we are getting stuck in the bowels of OSG somewhere,
> > while plib is
> > well-ordered, with no particular cpu-hog, which is
> > pretty much what the
> > above table indicates.
> >
> > My principle concern is that there appears to be
> > very little headroom for
> > future developments in OSG for shadows, or 3d
> > clouds, or landing lights, on
> > what is a not-very-old and pretty capable machine. I
> > would be grateful if
> > some Windows user(s) could confirm at least the
> > shape of these comparative
> > results. I understand that Linux users get much
> > better results than these.
> > We might be getting towards the point when Windows
> > users are stuck with plib
> > (and that's not all bad) while Linux users get to
> > play with all the new
> > goodies. We might be drifting away from our cross
> > platform ethic.
> >

> > Vivian
> >
> > Luckily the new card wasn't terribly expensive
> > otherwise I would be quite
> > p'd off
> >
> Hi,
>
> With the recent built by Fred I found the old stutters
> again- but I could sovle this for me.
>
> But I can't see any of those problems you have- I can
> run FGFS with all features we have - plus heavy
> self-written interactive traffic and mp. And the best-
> I can run other programs beside too without any
> problems (blender as an graphic example!)
>
> You should know, that you have to set some things on
> your pc, Nvidea and FGFS:
>
> - switch Vsync in the Nvidea settings
> - use the frame-rate-throttle!
>
> I use a CoreDuo 2,6 Ghz and a Gainward 8800GT - but
> there were people in the german forum and the official
> forum (kid's playground) having no problems with the
> recent OSG-built on lower pc.
> And the difference between a 8800 and 7600 isn't
> really far.
>
> Even on my old PC with a FX5200 OSG run very pretty at
> least.
> It is true that OSG is slower than plib- but the
> graphic is much better (exxept the 3D-clouds and the
> missing shadows)- please not another discussion about

CoreDuo 2,6 Ghz and a Gainward 8800GT. Not surprised it runs well!!! In
particular I think the CoreDuo does threading better than the P4. In case
you haven't noticed, the 7600gs is coping easily with the output from FG-OSG
- that's why the frame rates didn't increase.

And what would Vsync do? The frame rate never gets anywhere near the point
at which it might operate. I've tried frame-rate-throttle - it just makes it
worse. The graphics are absolutely no different here between OSG or plib
that I can see, and why should they be?

Could we have some _real_ numbers to compare instead of hearsay.

This is not a OSG versus plib discussion - it's a why OSG is so poor on XP
discussion

Vivian