To M.S., who sent me a private hate-mail: don't do that! Better send
that to the list for public entertainment. One doesn't see often
how a grown up man goes *that* low and throws away all remaining
credibility and decency!

  I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one:
  "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.
      -- Voltaire

* Stuart Buchanan -- Wednesday 09 April 2008:
> --- On Wed, 9/4/08, Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> > So, please let's discuss that first, before anyone
> > dumps more of that stuff into $FG_ROOT/AI/!
>
> Hence my original post - discussion is good.

Yes, discussion is good. But the original post was already a bit
past the point where an RFC would have been in order. You had
already started with copying textures and asked others to do the
same. Time to take a break.

> Yes, I strongly think that there would be a real benefit for
> everyone who uses the base package to be able to see all MP aircraft.

Of course there would. That's no question. But it comes at a price
and we have to think about whether it's affordable, and if this is
the way to go. *Not* seeing an aircraft isn't a big problem, one that
justifies paying a high price. I for one am right now *not* seeing
an aircraft in my room. Doesn't annoy me one bit.  ;-)

> In that context, another 50 - 100MB of data in the base package seems
> reasonable.

Sound like a rather low estimation to me. Especially considering
that helijah adds 5 aircraft every week.  :-)

> How about the following
>
> - Maximum size 250KB.
> - All textures converted to PNG and scaled to 1/4 size in both dimensions.
>
> Does that seem reasonable?

Maybe. I'd like others to comment on that. I never claimed that it's
on me to decide. But I'd like to have such things discussed before
they are done. You probably know that committing a file means that
it will be in CVS *forever*, even if you "cvs rm" it right after that.
(Yes, Curt can remove it from the server.)

Whatever we come up with, it would be nice if the LOD handling could
always load the full aircraft version if you are very close. Seeing
a blurry box parked next to you isn't pretty either.

m.