AJ wrote

> On Monday 22 September 2008 12:16:13 gerard robin wrote:
>
> > Again on that topic, i was wrong about 64 bit , which has nothing to do
> > with the stutter/jitter within FG.
>
> That's true (since we've seen the same stuttering on 32 bit machines as
> well).
>
> However, even though in your case disabling fancy effects appears to cure
> your
> system it seems there is something in FG causing a distinct stutter,
> happening around once per second, irrespective of framerate.
>
> On my own machine (Core2duo 1.86 GHz, 2Gb RAM, 7300GS graphics card) the
> stutter is basically undetectable under most circumstances, but very
> noticeable with the Brest photo scenery and slightly less so when using a
> highly-detailed model over another highly-populated scenery area.
>
> It seems to me to have been a fairly recent thing, which seemed to show up
> here around the same time as James' patches were committed (though I'm not
> certain enough to blame them, and haven't had time to revert back and
> build
> again.)  It also doesn't appear to be caused by nasal and occurs whether
> or
> not AI traffic or the traffic-manager, or multiplayer are enabled.
>
> Nobody else seeing the same thing?

As you know, I am. I have profiled the cvs-head. Nasal/hash.c seems to be a
_very_ significant CPU hog, but I can't link it to the staggers. I note
however that when I profile an old FG/osg from last Apr, it is stagger free,
and hash.c doesn't figure in the profiling.

I can also say that staggering is visible in Fred's latest Win32 binary.

Really above my pay grade here. Can anyone else help? Negative information
is also useful.

Vivian