From: Tim Moore [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2008 12:23 PM
To: FlightGear developers discussions
Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] Improved 3D Clouds patch (further
invesigations)

Roman Grigoriev wrote:
> Hi Stuart!
> Thanx for your greatest 3D clouds patch
> Works great but I find something that can totally eliminate glitches ->
> Z-buffer precision.
> So if I have near/far zones to 0.01/7000 I have glitches, but when I
.01 is really not a reasonable near-plane value. Having said that, there is
some
code to deal with Z-plane precision problems (ViewPartitionNode), so I'm
surprised that we're seeing such a problem. I confess I haven't had time yet
check out the cloud effects or the code, and I'm glad others have gone ahead
and
committed the patches...

Tim

> modified to 10/7000 all glitches are gone.
> Maybe we should render only clouds with high z-buffer precision using FBO
> and then paste it to all world?
> Also my suggestion is using point sprites because we use only 1 vertex.
> Thanx in advance
> Bye

FG