Curt wrote:
> One thing that Mark Harris' clouds considered was lighting I believe.
> Portions of the cloud that were shaded were darker and portions of
> the cloud most exposed to the sun light were lighter.
> I don't know the exact algorithm, but I believe he was doing some
> extra work with lighting.

Our 3D clouds perform similar lighting calculations. The cloud texture is
lit based on the dot product of it's position relative to the center of
the cloud mass, and the lighting vector. So the sprites on side of the
cloud facing away from the light are darker.

Like all good effects, it is quite subtle, and only really obvious when
you play with the time acceleration.

Perhaps I need to make it more obvious?

Independently, we also darken the bottom of cloud masses relative
to the top. This is configured through the cloudlayers.xml file.

> Then all of that was cooked into an imposter.

Imposters would be good, if they worked :(

> I think our current clouds if they had slightly better textures and
> smoother alpha blending would look pretty good.

The tools are there for anyone to take a look at and help improve.
I'm not very good with GIMP, so I'm hoping that someone else
can spend some time improving them.

There are details of the XML format in

data/Docs/README.3DClouds

-Stuart