On 16 Dec 2008, at 08:25, James Turner wrote:

>> 32:: Dialog: As of rc2, if you sit at KSFO and try to relocate to the
>> SAV VOR, it will take you to Savannakhet, Laos (SAV) ... even though
>> the pilot probably wanted to go to Savannah, GA (SAV).  In case of
>> ambiguity, the rule should be to go to the /nearest/ fix of the given
>> name.
>
> This one should be low-hanging fruit for me, I'll take a look today.

Had a quick look, this is a combination of weakness in the position
init code, and an explicit design choice in the 'location-in-air'
dialog box.

Essentially, if you specify start-up position (via the command line or
some other property source), and use the --fix or --navaid forms,
you'll get a random (actually first by DB order) hit matching the
ident. I've considered (and still do) allowing a locale to be
established using an airport, country code or similar, or using
shutdown location, but it's all a compromise. (If you use frequency
and ident, you'll hopefully get an exact match, I haven't checked for
duplicates in that case)

The dialog box behaviour, is that it explicitly clears out the current
lat/lon before doing the navaid/fix search, so we get the same
behaviour from the GUI - at least it's consistent.

My proposed fix is to add a 'base position' or similar to the
properties, and use this as the start point for spatial searches in
the position init code. When running from the command line, I'll leave
it unset to avoid surprising anyone with new behaviour, but once we're
started I'll use the current position, which should make the GUI
dialog work as expected.

However, I'm not sure doing any of this is wise for 1.99.5, better to
do it after the release and let it get some testing, since there's so
many permutations of position-init command lines.

James