On 16 Dec 2008, at 17:25, John Denker wrote:

> I don't think a "base position" is needed.  A notion of
> "current position" sufficies.  As for the CLI, it is useful
> to process the positioning items _in order_ so that going
> to --airport=KJFK and then to --vor=SAV will reliably get
> you to Savannah, GA ... whereas specifying the options in
> the reverse order would have a different meaning.
>
>   Other options obviously need to be processed out-of-order,
>   notably --help --verbose.

There's a technical issue here - fgPositionInit code see properties,
unordered, not arguments, I believe. But also, I think that specifying
both airport and a navaid is a bit ugly, syntax-wise.

I haven't come up with something neater, otherwise I'd have
implemented it already.

> Of course the "locate" dialogs should not clear the current
> position.
>
> I suspect there is little risk of unhappy surprises.  Very
> few pilots intend to relocate from KSFO to Savannakhet in
> one step.

I agree, but I tend to be ultra-cautious when proposing such changes
to long-standard functionality :)

> While we're in the neighborhood:  It would be good to
> make all ID-matches become case-insensitive.  I wrote
> the code to do this years ago.  It's very simple and
> very helpful.

Yes, agreed, I'll update all my ident-based queries to normalise case.

James