Ian,

Those boxes import nicely into AC3D here. How about a real challenge?

Vivian

-----Original Message-----
From: FGD ML [mailto:fg...@pomf.net]
Sent: 06 February 2009 10:18
To: FlightGear developers discussions
Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] The use of models from other formats

2009/2/6 Arnt Karlsen <a...@c2i.net>

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 11:07:45 +0000, FGD wrote in message
<9dfda0650902050307n513838b7x6f06bca893b2b...@mail.gmail.com>:

> 2009/2/5 Jon Stockill <li...@stockill.net>
>
> > Tim Moore wrote:
> >
> > > I don't know what to say about AC3D, but Blender has such a large
> > community that
> > > I doubt you need to be suffering in isolation this way. Surely
> > > this is a
> > known
> > > problem with a workaround?
> >
> > Before people spend too much time on that if you have a small sample
> > model that you could upload somewhere I'd be happy to try and work
> > through the conversion process in blender to determine what's
> > required to get acceptable results - once you're happy it *can* be
> > converted properly we can worry about how to achieve that on your
> > platform.
>

> Yes a link to some basic cubes was in my previous message.

..???  I could not find that link.  Lost message?

No, it's me being a newbie to mailing lists, I had not spotted that Curtis
wrote to me direct instead of using the "reply to" and hence the mailer
replied to him direct thus stopping the reply message going to the list. Oh
well! ;O) (I'll try and learn up some on all that for that in future, it's a
bit confusing on only day two)

Here's the bit you would have needed!

"Some people on the forum made this request last night. So I had a mate of
mine upload these simple 1mtr boxes so anyone could have some samples to
play with. They are only approx 1 metre I just threw them together, I wasn't
being micro precise, so don't use them to measure anything dimensionally!

LINK <http://www.aeroshop3d.com/Quickstart/DocLib/lwo%20BorgBoxes.zip>

In the filenames; T indicates the model is of triangles, otherwise they are
of quads, DS is for double sided otherwise they are single sided. They were
made using the current version of lightwave modeller which I routinely have
available which is 9.5."

On a side note actually, and to the rest of the list, after some more in
depth reading, I don't much like the look of Collada as I had felt earlier,
it looked a bit too good to be true then and now it seems it really is too
good to be true! It  would be very likely to become highly problematic in
use I suspect.

Ian