Scott Hamilton wrote:
>On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 22:06 -0400, William Harrison wrote:
>
>>>    Maybe it's just me, but has anyone noticed a dramatic performance
>>> decrease with 3d clouds after this patch?
>>
>>  yep, from 30fps to 2fps...

I'm very surprised that performance has decreased so significantly. However,
there is a possible explanation.

The code falls back to a 2D cloud layer if a 3D cloud isn't defined for a
specific cloud type (st, ac etc.). IIRC
previously we didn't define a 3D stratus layer, so we'd get a 2D layer instead.

The updated 3D clouds include stratus layers (which look rather nice IMO), but
require quite a larger number
of sprites - something like 40 per cloud. I've seen a small perf hit from the
new stratus layers, but nothing like
what you have reported.

I suspect what you are seeing if the difference between a 2D and 3D cloud.

What performance change are you seeing with, say, cumulus clouds, which haven't
changed much?

BTW - I've updated Docs/Readme.3Dclouds with information on the new format, if
anyone is interested in enhancing
the clouds.

-Stuart