Hi,

> I also noticed a huge frame rate drop when I was in or
> close to being in the cloud layer, so that the clouds
> consumed the greatest percentage of the screen real estate
> ... that is when the frame rates were the worst.  If we are
> drawing zillions of transparent quads and suddenly they are
> sized to cover nearly the whole screen, then we are
> basically rendering the whole screen (or most of the screen)
> for each cloud quad, or enough of them that are near by to
> pull the frame rates down to very low levels.
>

> Curt.

I coulden't try the new cloud patch yet- I'm waiting that someone makes a
binary snapshot for win32-users ;-)

So much I understood, there is a certain level of sprites numbers needed, so
that the single clouds is correctly shaded.
But as transpareny is one of the strongest factor which slows down, it is no
wonder that the fps might decreases...

As our technic is very similar to the one of X-Plane and MSFS, it is quite
interesting how they got managed to have a bit better perfomance:

viewed from above (rotation of the clouds), but seems to give a good
perfomance. But they don't give this realistic shading from white to grey as we
can see on the real clouds in the sky or here in FGFS...

MSFS: depending if default or Add-on. The recent Add-On called REX looks really
good, but also seems to use only sprite per single cloud.
The default clouds tried in the demo once a time uses some more sprites.
Their clouds system shows a quite nice shading similar to our.

I prefer our shading from white to grey of the clouds, as it looks really
realistic,  but as I understood Stuart it only works good and without any
errors with a certain number of sprites.

I wonder if it would be possible to have this shading from white to grey from
top to  bottom without many sprites. This would help a lot, and we already can
define the number of sprites uisng the slider  in the rendering menu.

Correct me if I'm wrong in any points here

Regards
HHS