On Wednesday 07 October 2009 11:18:07 am Stuart Buchanan wrote:

> I'm very surprised that performance has decreased so significantly.
> However, there is a possible explanation.

FWIW, I've run into one situation where the new cloud code significantly
slowed down my system. I found that reducing the range setting from 20km to
approximately 11-12 kilometers gave me back decent performance, without too
mach sacrificing of detail. It seemed to be a rather sharp transition, so I'm
wondering whether texture memory use has something to do with it.

Just thinking out loud, Would it be feasable to impement some sort of LOD
scheme, where sprites are dynamically added as they are getting closer? That
way, it might be possible to have clouds across a much larger area with as
much of an impact on performance.

Cheers,
Durk