On Sat, 2010-02-06 at 23:02 +0000, leee wrote:
> On Saturday 06 Feb 2010, Martin Spott wrote:
> > leee wrote:

> > > If ./configure is generating a makefile that doesn't work then
> > > there is clearly a bug.
> >
> > A "bug" is not necessarily the same as a "on my very custom setup
> > it doesn't work the way as I would expect". Several people are
> > having severe dificulties to understand the difference,
> > especially when they're starting to deal with non-trivial
> > components in their setup.
> >
> > > Saying that because the bug doesn't exist because it isn't
> > > widespread is just being in denial, and is an excuse (not a
> > > reason) for doing nothing about it.
> >
> > I don't mean not to do anything about it. But I don't agree with
> > people crying "bug" on every occasion just because they just
> > don't understand the implications of what they're doing.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >     Martin.
>
> This is hardly a case of "on my very custom setup it doesn't work
> the way as I would expect".

./configure --datadir=$parent/bogus         \
        --with-osg=$parent/usr              \
 --with-simgear=$parent/usr          \
 --with-plib=$parent/usr             \
        --prefix=$parent/usr

Isn't exactly a "stock" setup...  And neither is shuffling libraries into
non-standard directories.

> The system does not seem to be highly customised and generating a
> makefile that doesn't work cannot be passed off as just not working
> in the way expected.

The issue seems to be the makefile expects to find OSG's libraries in
$parent/usr/lib where they were specified to be, and he/his system
placed them in a non-standard place.  Look at his command line again.

g++  -g -O2 -I/games/orig/usr -D_REENTRANT  -L/games/orig/usr/lib
-L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib -o est-epsilon est-epsilon.o -lglut
-lGLU -lGL -lXmu -lXt -lSM -lICE -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lrt -ldl -lm
-losgFX -lglut -lGLU -lGL -lXmu -lXt -lSM -lICE -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lrt
-ldl -lm
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -losgFX

He *told* it osg was in $parent/usr/ (and I am assuming
$parent=/games/orig) and the makefile is telling g++ to look in
-L/games/orig/usr/lib for libraries.

> Neither do people normally 'cry' bug whenever they have a problem.

No, most people don't.

> This sort of exaggeration and misrepresentation of the circumstances
> doesn't get anyone anywhere.

I don't find Martin's statements to be an exaggeration.

> John's 'Joe' the non-C++ programmer is a valid scenario.  Implying
> that the problem only occurs when people don't understand the
> implications of what they're doing is like suggesting that people
> who can't do their own automobile maintenance and repairs shouldn't
> drive, or indeed, that people who can't fly an aircraft shouldn't
> travel by air.

But people who can't fly an aircraft shouldn't expect to be able to
solo, either.  This is why package managers provide pre-built
installable packages.

Ron