On Saturday 06 Feb 2010, Ron Jensen wrote:
[snip...]

> ./configure --datadir=$parent/bogus         \
>         --with-osg=$parent/usr              \
>  --with-simgear=$parent/usr          \
>  --with-plib=$parent/usr             \
>         --prefix=$parent/usr
>
> Isn't exactly a "stock" setup...  And neither is shuffling
> libraries into non-standard directories.
>
> > The system does not seem to be highly customised and generating
> > a makefile that doesn't work cannot be passed off as just not
> > working in the way expected.
>
> The issue seems to be the makefile expects to find OSG's
> libraries in $parent/usr/lib where they were specified to be, and
> he/his system placed them in a non-standard place.  Look at his
> command line again.
>

> g++  -g -O2 -I/games/orig/usr -D_REENTRANT  -L/games/orig/usr/lib
> -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib -o est-epsilon est-epsilon.o
> -lglut -lGLU -lGL -lXmu -lXt -lSM -lICE -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lrt
> -ldl -lm -losgFX -lglut -lGLU -lGL -lXmu -lXt -lSM -lICE -lXi
> -lXext -lX11 -lrt -ldl -lm
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -losgFX
>
> He *told* it osg was in $parent/usr/ (and I am assuming
> $parent=/games/orig) and the makefile is telling g++ to look in
> -L/games/orig/usr/lib for libraries.

But isn't one of the tasks of ./configure to test that it can find
the libs it needs, and isn't this the real problem?

Is it not the case that ./configure has run ok, presumably believing
that it has found the libs it needs, but then generated a makefile
that fails because it can't find them?  That was what I thought the
problem was.  Using non-standard configurations is far from
forbidden on linux; that's why there are options (parameters) to
override normal defaults, but ./configure should be checking for
consistency and failing when it finds inconsistency, not giving the
appearance that all is well.

LeeE