On Fri, 19 Mar 2010, Erik Hofman wrote:

> David Megginson wrote:
>> I didn't seem to make any difference -- 3D buildings, trees, etc. were
>> still floating above the roofs of the bump-map buildings.  I also
>> tried
>
> Keep in mind that relief mapping is just trickery to make something look
> like it is standing out from the scenery. In fact everything is rendered
> in the same 2d plane. That might be the main cause of this effect.

Yes, indeed. It is (or ought to be) possible to adjust the Z-buffer value
for fragments to reflect their new "position" as determined by the relief
computation. This would solve depth problems between the ground
triangles and objects on them but will not help for the problems along
the edges of the urban area since the urban shader is not run for the
fragments of the adjacent ground triangles and consequently a relief
"building" cannot occlude those fragments.

There might be other tricks to make the transition to other ground types
more pleasing, though.

Cheers,

Anders
Anders Gidenstam