I can't update my aircraft at the moment , but to fix the ALT hold problem ,
change this starting at line 205 in aerostar-autopilot.xml ...

        <input>
            <prop>instrumentation/altimeter/indicated-altitude-ft</prop>
        </input>

Must have been a left over experiment. My mistake , there is no VS hold with
this system , but it holds pitch when the autopilot is turned on , so engage
it when you've trimmed for a climb ... and make sure the Alerter is armed
before your within +- 1000 feet of target altitude ... and it should work
properly . At least it does for me .

Cheers